7.20.2012

Wedding Planning in the Age of Pinterest

I am drowning in a sea of chiffon, burlap, unity candles, mason jars, and painted wooden signs. Is it just me, or is Pinterest's "Wedding and Events" section actually a guide to a DIY rustic wedding?

Photo credit: Style Me Pretty

            Photo credits: Style Me PrettyStyle Me Pretty

Photo credit: Style Me Pretty

Photo credit: Etsy

Don't get me wrong - PRECIOUS - but also not the only kind my dears! I know, I know, first world problems. But the gosh honest truth is that now more than ever, planning a wedding is like drinking water from a firehose.

Also, what the WHAT is this mess? On Pinterest it's titled "cute s'mores display!" ("s'mores display"?? that's not a thing.)

Photo credit: Wedding Chicks

So, I am doing the only logical thing: hiring a wedding planner. We'll be getting hitched about 1,500 miles from where we live - good reason #1. Every bride friend I have who didn't have a planner says her main regret is not at least having a day-of coordinator - good reason #2. Wedding planning with various family members in charge can be sticky - good reason #3,4,5.  I'm reminded of a great Oscar Martinez quote from The Office

"Look, it doesn't take a genius to know that every organization thrives when it has two leaders. Go ahead, name a country that doesn't have two presidents. A boat that sets sail without two captains. Where would Catholicism be without the popes?"

So, after interviewing five planners, and narrowing it down to three, I am in full decision-making mode.  Here are the factors I'm considering most, including questions I asked, in picking a wedding planner for full (comprehensive) services:

* How long has the planner been in business?

* Does the planner mostly do weddings or other types of events?

* How busy is the planner's schedule between now and my wedding date, especially the month of my wedding?

* Do I like the look of the published weddings by this planner? Are they akin to what we're going for?

* What do the online reviews say? How recent are the reviews?

* What do my friends say (in the case of planners who come recommended)?

* Did we have a good rapport on the phone? Will I feel comfortable being candid with this person and talking to them often for the next 8-10 months?

* Do I feel this person will be kind to my guests and family, while still keeping everything running smoothly?

* Is this planner familiar with the city where we want to marry? Does the planner have standing relationships with vendors and venues?

* Price!

I've spent a lot of time mulling over all this, because the planner will perhaps be the most important single wedding decision. Other than the groom... In the end, I think it's going to be about going with my gut, because aside from my fiancé - this is the person I'm going to talk to most about our wedding. Did you use a planner, any advice?

Whatever planner we land, I can tell you that this patronizing sign will not appear at the wedding:

Photo credit: Rustic Wedding Chic

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete